Review Material and Operator Standards
Crane operators who want to work in BC must understand provincial health and safety regulations.
To operate a crane in BC, you will need to be able to:
- Explain how the Occupational Health and Safety Regulation (OHSR) applies to crane operations in BC
- describe the duties of employers, workers and supervisors stated in the Workers Compensation Act
- describe the competencies needed for crane operators in BC.
This applies to boom truck, mobile and tower crane operators.
Here is some of the key information you will need to be familiar with.
Workers Compensation Act
You can see the full Workers Compensation Act here. It describes the occupational health and safety responsibilities of workers, employers and others in BC and explains how the compensation system works. Here is one essential section you need to be familiar with and understand:
- Part2: Division 4 – General Duties of Employers, Workers and Others
Occupational Health and Safety Regulation (OHSR)
BC’s Occupational Health and Safety Regulation (OHSR) is enforced by WorkSafeBC. You can view the entire OHSR here. This also includes the OHSR Guidelines which give more detail about how each part is interpreted. Here are some of the main parts you will need to be familiar with and understand:
- Part 3 – Rights and Responsibilities
- Part 13 – Ladders, Scaffolds and Temporary Work Platforms
- Part 14 – Cranes and Hoists
- Part 15 – Rigging
- Part 16 – Mobile Equipment
- Part 19 – Electrical Safety
BC Crane Operator Competencies
Here are links to the standards for tower crane, mobile crane, and boom truck operators in BC. They contain all the information that is used by examiners and training organizations.
These standards set out the skills, knowledge and attitudes that people need to demonstrate if they want to become fully-certified crane operators in BC.
- Mobile Crane Operator Standards - Hydraulic Unlimited Tonnage
- Mobile Crane Operator Standards - Hydraulic 80 Tonnes and Under
- Mobile Crane Operator Standards - Hydraulic 20 Tonnes and Under
- Mobile Crane Operator Standards - Lattice Boom Friction Crane
- Mobile Crane Operator Standards - Lattice Boom Hydraulic Crane
- Stiff Boom Crane Operator Standards - Stiff Boom Unlimited
- Stiff Boom Crane Operator Standards - 40 Tonnes and Under
- Stiff Boom Crane Operator Standards - 20 Tonnes and Under
- Folding Boom Crane Operator Standards - Unlimited Tonnage
- Folding Boom Crane Operator Standards - 22 Tonnes and Under
- Folding Boom Crane Operator Standards - 10 Tonnes and Under
Learn more about the crane classification system and the types of equipment you can operate with each certification.
BC CRANE SAFETY
PO Box 42066, RPO Guildford
Surrey, BC V3R 1S5